Dane Ortlund gives five pieces of practical advice for anyone who’s struggling with regular Bible reading.
Welcome to another edition of UP, the Union Podcast. My name is Dan Hames and I’m speaking for the final time, certainly, with Dane Ortlund, the Senior Vice President for Bible Publishing at Crossway. Dane, as we part, I wondered, do you have any advice for the person who really struggles each day to pick up their Bible and read? They know that they should, they would like to, but really deep down, they don’t really think that the Bible appeals to them. Do you have any advice for them?
Well, I feel full sympathy for them, Dan, and I think that question reflects Dane Ortlund, not only in his past, but also sometimes in his present. A couple things come to mind.
- Of course it’s a struggle. The Bible is a strange book.
- There is no one in the history of the world for whom it was never a struggle to read and understand the Bible. So you’re not weird.
- If you are struggling to read the Bible, and really not picking it up at all, what about this. What if starting tomorrow you got up one minute earlier than you planned to and read one verse. Maybe Ephesians 1:1, maybe 1 John, or something in the Psalms. Whatever you want. Now is not the time for grand plans, if you’re struggling to pick it up. Now’s the time for tiny, realistic goals. And do that for a week. Read a total of seven verses and enjoy seven verses, one verse a day. You cannot–discipline yourself–you cannot read more than that. And I dare you to see how you want to adjust that at the beginning of week 2. You’re not going to want to do less. You’re going to want to do two verses a day. So do that! Grow slowly, and give yourselves time, and then die, many years from now, a Bible-devouring, wise, rich, radiant man or woman.
- Just remember, reading the Bible is simply eating. That’s all it is. What would you say to someone who says, I just struggle to go every day to the kitchen and eat something. You’d say, you want to live, don’t you? You want to be strong, don’t you? Don’t you want to be nourished and enjoy life like you’re meant to? So, neglecting the Bible is self-starvation. Jonathan Edwards looked back at his own conversion, he said he found scripture to be, for the first time, a refreshing, ravishing food. And that’s what we’re growing into.
- And last I’d say, why don’t you just relax? You are clothed in Christ’s righteousness, and Christ, the radiant friend of sinners, is compassionately for and with you. His arms are not crossed. So, give yourself time to acquire the taste. Spurgeon said, “Nobody ever outgrows Scripture, it both widens and deepens with our years.” So let that happen. Ask the Lord, who is an ever-present help in time of need, to give you that. To let the book widen and deepen and become meaningful to you. And he will draw near to you, as you ask him to.
Thank you, there are 5 really good pieces of advice. I did wonder how long it would take you to mention Edwards. Is there any other advice you could pass on to him while you’re on the line?
Oh, let’s see. He loves to speak of Scripture, Edwards did, as a treasure. In fact at one point he was preaching and said, if someone were to find a huge treasure of gold that was hidden underneath the ground, if they accidentally stumbled on it, he said, wouldn’t it make sense for that person to gather up as much of it as he possibly could while it lasted? And then he said, that treasure of divine knowledge which is in the Scriptures is a far richer treasure than any treasure of gold or pearls. And that’s how the Scripture talks: greater than gold, much fine gold, and so on. So that’s how Edwards viewed the Bible.
Thank you, Dane. A great bit of bonus material. It’s been so great to speak to you. And thank you listeners for tuning in. Make sure you tune in again to UP, the Union Podcast.
UP0007: How Can Jesus Really be the Centre of Scripture? Andrew Wilson
UP0010: Why Have You Debated Steve Chalke and Rob Bell? Andrew Wilson
UP0014: How Has the Bible Been Important to You? Dane Ortlund
UP0022: What Does it Mean to See God? Kyle Strobel
UP0023: Is God Religious? Kyle Strobel
UP0024: What Is Christian Spirituality All About? Kyle Strobel
UP0025: What Is Missing From Our Prayer Life? Kyle Strobel
UP0026: What Challenges Face Christian Parents? Gloria Furman
UP0032 What is Power in the Bible and What is it for? Mark Stirling
UP0033: How Does Jesus Teach Us About Power? Mark Stirling
UP0034: Should Christians Avoid Power? Mark Stirling
UP0037: What was Luther’s “Theology of the Cross”? Graham Tomlin
UP0039: Are Good Works Important at All? Graham Tomlin
UP0043: How did Newton pastor his people? Tony Reinke
UP0046: How were Old Testament believers saved? David Murray
UP0051 Why the Reformation Still Matters Michael Reeves
UP0052: The Ascension of Jesus Gerrit Scott Dawson
UP0053: The Star of Bethlehem Colin Nicholl
UP0054: A New Day Emma Scrivener
UP0055: Escaping Escapism Dave Griffith-Jones